I have been away a bit and not had my development environment available to carry on, so I decided to do some refactoring and attempt some other small but important changes while I was away. The changes were to add recognition of padding, so I can read Ethernet Router Hello messages from RSX too.
Of course when I got back home, I found I had broken the code and it took me a while to fix it.
Also made a start on the designated router logic but I really need to create a proper initialization layer to do that right.
I still need to fix my Network Monitor parser for DECnet to deal with padding too.